Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Job Interview Questions: Would this question be inappropriate at a job interview?

I am interviewing for a support level position with a small investment management company. On their website, they have bios of all the higher-up people, but they do not have anything on their support staff. Some of their competitors include all the principals and their support staff. This shows me that their support staff means a lot to the company as well. I would like to ask this company why they decided not to include their support staff on their website. Should this question be avoided?

Brush Up on Your Job Interview Skills and Ace The Interview



Recommended Answer:
I wouldn't ask, they would see you as a problem. It would be like asking those rich jerks for a union so you can make a living wage. They go crazy.

The Ten Rules For a Great Job Interview


  • That's definitely not something I would bring up in an interview. There may be a very good reason why they aren't up there. Personally, I would insist that I not be included in a web site where anyone can googlestalk me. It's not a commentary on anything whether a company does or does not. It sounds like an ego issue.

  • What is the idea behind wanting to know? Are you just wanting to gauge how much they appreciate the employees? The best way to get that info is to ask if there's any more about the support staff you can get on the internet before the interview, but if not, don't take it as a bad thing.

    You could always get a pretty good idea of the level of employee appreciation by noting the general atmosphere. Ask if you might get a quick tour while you're on the interview, if there's time "I'd love to look around, do you think we might be allowed to do that?" and if so, look at people's desks. If there are lots of personal touches and the general atmosphere is cheerful, you can be pretty certain that morale is good.

  • Yes, that is something that was decided my upper management. It's really mute, why they are not on their website. Maybe they have a large turn over? no need to place all their employees bios out there for everyone to read? It could be complicated, to say the least? legal issues?

    Good luck with that interview! Remember to wear interview type clothing, look them in the eye and shake their hand. :)

  • No don't ask that question. Also just because their competitors include their support staff in their website doesn't mean they value them that much but just that they know it looks good to do that. You will only know how a company treats their support staff by working there. I once worked as a support person at a major well known world wide accounting firm who are perceived as great employers...well, they are great if you are an accountant but they treated their support staff like insignificant specks of dirt....but they had a wonderful website!!

  • I wouldn't ask. I think it is pretty obvious.

    Imagine if you were checking out the website of a coffee shop (because you wanted to scope it out before going) and they put up the bios of all the employees working there. Who cares? But I would understand having the bios perhaps of the owner who runs it and maybe his or her partner. But bios of the support staff?

    Some companies might do it, but it is just not necessary. In fact, I would prefer working for a company that would not do that because it is almost a little cheesy.

    Some other companies may do it to invoke more of a "community" feel. But personally I think it is a little silly. In your position, I would be glad to work for a company with a more serious image.

    Regards.

    J

  • Yes, I would avoid that. It serves no purpose for you to know that information and might make the interviewer feel as though you were a trouble maker and attempting to put him/her on the hot seat. IF this interviewer felt this, to any extent at all, you would most likely not go further in the interviewing process.

  • I would not ask that in an interview, and I don't think that's indicative of anything.

  • No. Do not ask that question. The answer to that question will not give you the information that you desire. It's just a website. Taking a tour, meeting people, being observant of the atmosphere in the workplace would be a much better indicator of whether or not people are happy and appreciated. The average length of time that a person has worked at the company is also an excellent indicator of job satisfaction.

    If you pose that question I would have to guess at what your intention was. I would guess that you may not be a "team player" and be overly concerned with yourself and with self-recognition. I also would think that you are "critical" and have made a negative observation about my company. Your question could be misinterpreted. So in this case I would not ask. After you are hired and have worked there 6 months, you could inquire then if you felt it was appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment