Sunday, February 26, 2012

Job Interview Questions: How do YOU dress for a job interview?

I don't have like a business suit or anything so I'm wearing a black button up shirt, gray slacks, and black flats. Also, how do you do your make up? I'm going to do just some basic eye liner, and nude color eye shadow. Nothing too bold.

Job Interview Tips for Second Interviews



Recommended Answer:
I've always worn a suit to the first interview, and a pencil skirt with a button down shirt to the second (if there was a second). Good luck girl!!

Be Prepared For Job Interview Success


  • The general rule of thumb is to wear one "step up" in dress from what a person in the position would typically wear or what the dress code is. Another good tip is to dress to match the boss / interviewer.

    I always wore a suit for interviews. I also generally wear heels because I'm comfortable in them. I would absolutely recommend wearing flats if that is where your comfort level lies (or if the job is something that's going to have you running around - caring for children, etc.)

    If you don't have an actual suit, do you have a blazer or suit jacket that you could pair with some slacks or a (knee-length) skirt?

    The sound of your outfit is nice, but I would add some color somewhere. You want them to see you right away and remember you. It may not be fair, but your outfit is the first thing they're going to judge and a smartly worn eye-catching piece will work wonders. Either a bright scarf or bold jewelry maybe? (I wouldn't recommend a 'loud' purse or bag as you don't want to be carrying anything big with you.)

  • Black and grey is always good. I also be sure I fix my hair (it's naturally curly so I straighten it). To me it just looks more professional and I hate my hair curly. If I do curl it, I don't air dry it, I actually pull out the curling iron and fix it properly. For makeup I do a very neutral look: nude eye shadow or a champagne color (adds light to the eyes), a light amount of eye liner, and mascara. Small amount of blush, and nude lips (say chapstick or a neutral lip color). Fixing your hair and being sure your nails are neat and trim will show the interviewer that you care for your personal hygiene, which reflects positively to your work ethic.

    I think what you described will be just fine. If it's a company that would more likely being in suits, I would try to find a blazer or at least a nice looking scarf to dress it up a bit.

  • I dress as close to the way I would be dressing for the job I'm applying for. When I was applying for a grocery store, I wore black slacks, black socks and tennis shoes, and a white button-up shirt. When I applied for an office job, I wore black slacks, a nice shirt, nylons and low heals.

    I don't usually wear makeup, and as a result, I'm not very confident when it comes to applying the right colors and applying it properly. If I felt the need to put on make up, I'd put on as little as possible and follow the "less is more" rule...I'd want it to look like I wasn't wearing ANY makeup. Especially if it's an office job; I wouldn't go for the bold look.

  • It honestly depends on what job. What you said your wearing sounds great just don't overdress. Just say this.. if your interviewing at say walmart or other basic store you don't want to go wearing a nice suit, hair and makeup all done up nice and jewelry from Tiffany's if you get what i mean. A nice pair of dress pants with a casual not too dressy shirt looks great. It looks like your hiding something and they don't like that. Managers like to find people who will be open, and be themselves. However if it's a higher job like management or other position you should dress nice because it shows your professionalism. Most managers however should see past your clothing and into your personality. As long as you seem like a potentially good employee thats all that matters Dressing nice just shows your comitment and of course your preofessionalism. Thats why it's bad to show up in jeans and things like that - to me it looks like it was just another errand in your day.
    Do your hair and make-up the same way you always do it. You don't want to have a completely different appearance at the interview then you do when you get the job. If you wear very bold makeup then tone it down for the workplace in general.

    When I go for interviews I usually follow these standards. I got an interview at shopko for a cashier and I wore khaki pants with dress shoes, and a sweater or casual shirt I cant remember. When I interviewed at one of the hospitals for a medical records position I dressed up a little bit more. I work nice black dress pants, black heels a button up shirt with a jacket. Not too dressy but dressy enough. I got both jobs so I think the standards are pretty well met.

    Good luck :)

  • I wear slacks, button down shirt and a cardigan. I apply a small amount of makeup. I don't want to over do it. I have been in interviews where others are waiting in jeans and graphic t-shirts. I have done interviews where girls dress like they are going to a club, while I am not a man that doesn't impress me. The only thing that impresses me is how well you sell yourself, if you look like you have a good work ethic, good attitude, and dress presentable.

  • It's been a few years since I've been to one, but I work slacks and a nice shirt. I too wore flats, as I don't like heels and they seemed a bit too fancy for the job I was interviewing for. ;-) I'm not a huge make up wearer. Usually just a bit of basic black eye liner, a light eyeshadow and the occasional small bit of mascara. Other then that, that's usually it.

  • It's been a while since I had an interview but in general, I would wear khakis and a nice shirt with dress shoes. My last job was at a daycare and I knew I'd be wearing jeans and a tee shirt everyday but still dressed for an interview. My boss even said I could have wore jeans to the interview but I can't do that lol.

  • What you have sounds fine. I have a black interview/funeral suit, and a few different color shirts as part of my professional wardrobe. I wear white or blue to a first interview, and if it went well, I go with something bolder for a follow-up, like a bright pink or a lime green.

  • Black slacks, a cute dressy top (but nothing too bright / busy) and black flats. Id do my make up just like I do any other day.. foundation, powder, eye shadow to match the outfit but not 'clubbish' or 'night out-ish', eye liner, mascara and lip gloss. :-)

  • I have two suits, but I also have a lot of other professional looking clothes. I have a certain power outfit that I always go to for lots of confidence. I do my makeup with nude shades and mascara. I don't want to look like a harlot haha.

  • My 1st three interviews were extremely informal- a summer camp and 2 fast food joints.

    I didn't have an interview for my current job- my stepmom just hired me. That sounds like a good outfit though. The only thing I'd do different for make up is mascara

  • That sounds good. I wear slacks and a nice shirt. Usually I try to keep the color toned down, I would hate to draw attention away from my awesome beauty and stunning personality.

    Be careful with that eye liner.

  • Black dress pants a nice dressy shirt or one that looks professional. For my last job I wore black dress pants, a long sleeved pink shirt with sequins on the neck line, and black high heels and a little mascara. Beyond easy.

  • Sounds good but, you may want to add bit of color like a blue, red, or whatever color looks good on you for the shirt? Like a plain button down shirt not a print. Good Luck!!!

  • Black skirt (knee length), nylons, white dressy t-shirt, grey cardigan, necklace and earrings. Black flats. I wear minimal make-up.

  • It depends on the job you're interviewing for.

  • i almost always wore jeans and a clean shirt, always got the job too :)

  • depends ur job type and moreover light makeup is always better with normal jeans and t-shirt..

No comments:

Post a Comment