Saturday, March 3, 2012

Job Interview Questions: What should you say when asked this ? in a job interview?

I don't know why I don't land jobs, like Barnes and Nobles, or Starbucks, or Marshalls because when i came in for interviews, they all asked why do you want to work for us?

I was stuck. What is the best thing to say?

Job Interview Skills



Recommended Answer:
You're going to have to tailor your answer to the particular job, but something along the lines of

"I'm considering a career in _____ and want to learn all aspects of the business. The (retail, customer service, food preparation, etc) aspect seems to be the logical place to start."

Or:

"I've had such positive experiences here as a customer that I thought it must be a terrific place to work."

Or:

"I learned how to (sell, cook, wait tables, accessorize, etc) during (my last job, church, camp, the school play, etc) and I turned out to be good at it, so I'd like to do more of it."

Just about anything that isn't "Because I need money" will be acceptable.

Don't go overboard. This is the sort of thing you really do have to rehearse a bit, so it doesn't sound too cheesy when it actually comes out of your mouth.

Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid


  • I suggest taking the time to come prepared for the job interview. Read and apply this article. I have always landed the jobs I interview for, and I have even had competition between stores on who was going to keep me. Good luck with landing the job. Go in with confidence, bring a resume (even if it's McDonald's or Wal-Mart), and do some research on the company who you are trying to become employed by.
    CONFIDENCE: shows you are prepared to try something new and can handle situations with ease.
    RESUME: highlights key points in your career that would not be seen on their basic application
    RESEARCH (makes a huge difference): know what they expect of their staff & note any key words they use to describe their staff that you exhibit. Make sure to use these words in describing yourself, and telling them you researched the company (when asked why you want to work for them) and felt you matched the criteria shows in the following ways, etc.

    good luck on your job hunt!

  • Try to think of a generic answer that covers this common question. Something that makes you appear 'likeable'.

    "I've always been sort of a people person. It's gratifying when i can do something to help someone out."

    Hint: They will ask for an example or two. HAVE these answers ready to go! Otherwise it sounds like BS.

    I mean, everyone know the real reason your there. You want a paycheck! What they want to know is if your going to be willing to earn that check.

  • Just say you like whatever they sell like books, clothing, coffee, etc. If you don't have an answer for that question then more than likely you won't get the job because they think you aren't interested in it.

  • Say you have an interest in books, clothing, etc. (whatever they sell) and you enjoy handling those products and helping customers find the products that they enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment