Thursday, March 1, 2012

Job Interview Questions: When an employer asks if you have any questions in a job interview, what do you say?

I've always been unsure but I ask when I can start, salary, and how many people are applying. What else should you ask?

The Job Interview Process - What to Expect



Recommended Answer:
Those are all valid questions, but they're hoping to hear questions that show you care about the work itself. You could ask why they do something the way they do, how they see themselves in relation to their closest competitors, who are their close competitors. You can also ask what they're hoping for in the person they hire for the job you want, how you compare to the other applicants.

Sometimes they tell you so much there's nothing left to ask. If that happens, say, "You answered all the questions I came with. I wondered about X and you told me ___ about it. I was going to ask Y, and you said___." That shows you had questions in mind AND you paid attention to what they were telling you.

Prepare For Your Job Interview


  • This is such a standard question that you usually get at the end of an interview. It's very important to prepare beforehand. Research the company first, and come up with a list of questions. I would think that "when can I start?" would be a bit too direct; you haven't been offered the job yet. Before you get around to asking about all the things the company has to offer you (salary, benefits, etc.--and I've read that it's a bad idea to discuss benefits until after you've been offered the job, THEN decide if you will accept), come up with some questions that show genuine interest in the company and the position you're applying for. Some standard questions are "Can you tell me a little about how the company is structured?" or "what is a typical day or week like for someone in this position?" This is your opportunity to find out things you want to know, and demonstrate your genuine interest in the company.

  • Those are good questions and good suggestion listed here by answerers. However, their is nothing wrong in asking about the salary. Of course you want to know how much you are making before they offer you the job. Unless you don't mind starting at minimum wage or don't care about your salary. This is what I say, "Based on what is expected of me, what is my salary?"

  • ask about anything that may become an issue in the future. if it's a part-time job ask things like if you want to take a day off or get sick. expect the unexpected!

No comments:

Post a Comment