Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Job Interview Questions: How many people send a thank you letter after a job interview?

I had an interview for my first "real job" outside of college and forgot the dang thank you letter. However, do a lot of people forget that part? What percentage of people actually send a thank you letter after an interview?

Job Interview Skills - How to Deal With Unusual, Irrelevant Or Stupid Questions at Interviews



Recommended Answer:
I've interviewed many people for teaching positions, and I in all honesty, the decision of who we are going to hire is made well before the thank you card arrives. One person sent an email immediately after the interview, and in all honesty, it was overkill. I don't know what type of job you're interviewing for, and it is a nice thing to do, but doesn't help with our district.

3 Steps to a Great Job Interview


  • Depends on what kind of job you applied for. If you applied at McDonald's to be the cashier then don't fret no one is sitting around waiting for a thank you card. However, if you applied to be a retail store manager or a project manager at a corporation a thank you email or card is definitely proper etiquette. While it may not be a deal breaker for you to land the job, it certainly creates a perception about you. I have never forgotten to send a thank you email after job interviews.

    I have interviewed and staffed more than 100 positions in my lifetime. For entry level jobs, the thank you letter did not have any impact on my decision. However, for managerial positions - I did not hire the ones who did not send the thank you follow up. I took this as an indicator that the individuals do not follow up. (Which is a problem for nearly 80% of managers out there - lack of follow up especially when it comes to performance management) www.ms-mentor.blogspot.com

  • forget about the percentage of people who send it forget about asking whether to send it or not...you MUST go ahead and send it...I got a job few week ago in the feds all this because I sent a thank you letter to the person who interviewed me. As a recent grad with no experience the only thing I got is portraying myself as someone who really cares about the job even if I was not the most experienced [i was told so]...go for it..it will payoff and makes you unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment