Friday, February 10, 2012

Job Interview Questions: How to escape questions about religion in job interview?

I don't want to talk about religion at work and school and don't want people judge me by my religion. I'm Christian but prefer not to talk about religion. It's too personal. I'll have an interview, if they asked me about my belief what is a good answer to bypass the question without sounding rude?

Job Interview Tips - Best Interview Questions



Recommended Answer:
If you are in the U.S., they cannot legally ask you anything about religion in an interview. Nor can they ask about children, marriage, health, etc. If they do ask, say, "How is this relevant to the job being offered?"

Job Interview Weaknesses - How to Overcome These Common Job Interview Weaknesses


  • The first answer is correct. If you live in the US, it is illegal to ask a person about their religion in the interview. So basically if this happens, they're the ones who have problems, not you.

    But realistically, even if you don't live in the US, I can't see how ones religious views would come into play in the vast majority of job interviews. It would certainly be the rare interview where it would even be relevant enough to be brought up, so I doubt you need to worry much. Even if it would, I think you could just say politely "I don't prefer to discuss religion in the workplace". I don't think that would sound rude at all :-)

  • If you live in the US, it's not legal for interviewers to talk about religion. If you live somewhere where it's legal to discuss religion in interviews, why not just say, "My beliefs are very personal and I prefer not to discuss them" or something like that?

  • NO one is allowed to ask questions re your religion, it is illegal and if they ask that, leave and look for another job. And at school or anywhere else just say sorry, that's my personal business and no one else's.

  • Likewise in Australia it is not a legal question. However, if they ask you could just explain that you do not allow your religious beliefs to interfere with your work. Throw a question back and ask if the religion will impact on the job.

  • You are a practical atheist. Don't be afraid of these "questions". Study, reflect and learn to defend your beliefs.

  • They can't ask you questions about religion in the US. Illegal to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment