Sunday, February 12, 2012

Job Interview Questions: Should I mention I had surgery in a job interview?

I was sick for two years with Crohns disease and had four surgeries. I was able to work part time the entire time so there is no lapse between jobs. But I have a specific college degree that I had just received before getting sick. I am better now but if they ask why I haven't tried to get a job in this field should I be honest? (My unused certification is as a LVN or nurse if that helps).

Job Interview Techniques



Recommended Answer:
This is some what of an ETHICS question. Should you lie to a potential employer to help you get a job?

My recommendation is this. Tell the truth - lies always have a way of coming out and when they do, nobody likes being lied to. If the employer offers insurance then there is a 100% chance it will come out. use just two lines:
"I was sick for two years with Crohns disease and had four surgeries. I was able to work part time the entire time so there is no lapse between jobs." (this will show that you have a real desire to stay working)
"My last surgery was back in (insert approximate date here); I'm on medication and have it under control ."

Know the Job Interview Answers


  • do not volunteer to give out info about your disease and surgeries unless you are specifically asked.

    if u tell the info during the interview, u are very likely not hired, because u are not considered healthy and will likely take more sick days off than other employees.

    on the the hand, i think u should be honest to tell, if specifically asked.

  • Being honest is the best thing! but if u r sure it will not affect ur job performance then i dont think it is necessary for you to mention the surgery, but u should if they ask u abt ur medical history. I've been on an interview n was asked abt my medical history so just be prepared to tell them the truth...

  • If they ask you directly, you may want to explain that you suffered from a serious illness that prevented you from pursuing your chosen career path. I wouldn't go into too much detail, and I would be careful to emphasize that the illness is no longer a problem. And I certainly wouldn't bring it up unless it is absolutely necessary.

  • I know you can't help it, but you have a chronic disease that usually means you will miss a lot of work. Some employers won't even hire you if they feel you won't be dependable and that your attendance will be an issue.

  • if it comes up i would be honest. lying isn't going to get you anywhere but you don't have to mention it unless he specifically asks if you don't want to.

  • Just state you were interested in another field. No company will hire you with your medical problems

  • Yep, might as well start off on the right foot with being honest and straightforward.

  • not at this time. it might worry them about your ability to work.
    they have a business to run and don't want more problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment