Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Job Interview Questions: Job interview tomorrow. What should I respond to about weaknesses?

I'm applying a job at a hospital for an EP [Electrophysiology] Technologist. I had interned with them previously so I'm not super on edge about it since I know them but I always have difficulties answering what my weaknesses are. I have them I know, but I don't really know what they are? Any advice on some good answers?

How to Blow a Job Interview in Less Than Five Minutes



Recommended Answer:
3. "What's Your Biggest Weakness?"

What are you supposed to do -- tell them why they SHOULDN'T hire you?

The "weakness" question is popular with interviewers not because they want to torture you, but because they're interested in hearing how you tackle challenges.

The most important thing to remember is that after you name your weakness, you MUST discuss what you have done to overcome it.

Pick a weakness that is real but understandable or relatively harmless. Whatever weakness you pick, be sure that it is work-related ("I have a tendency to overfeed my dog" is NOT an appropriate weakness) and that you present the strategies for how you overcame it.

Here are a few examples:"I used to have a tendency to procrastinate. So now I am always sure to set a strict schedule for all of my projects well in advance and I set personal deadlines. This organization has really helped.""Once in a while, I focus too much on the details of a project. So now, when I'm working on a project, I always make sure at the end of the day to sit back and take a few minutes to think about the general scope of my work. It forces me to keep priorities straight and helps me keep the right mindset.""I used to have some problems with organization. So now I carry a schedule book around throughout the day and I also use this Palm Pilot to keep me on track. It's worked out great!"

You don't want to pick a weakness that will torpedo your chances -- even your weakness should speak strongly toward your skills. The examples above all address honest weaknesses; here are a few other "safe" weaknesses that are easy to discuss:I tend to be a perfectionist.
I sometimes work too hard, leading to unnecessary stress.

The Right Way to Answer Job Interview Questions


    No comments:

    Post a Comment