Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Job Interview Questions: What impression do a cast and crutches make on a job interview?

Would you not hire someone because they were on crutches / temporarily handicapped (but this problem didn't impede their ability to do their job)? I have an important job interview and am concerned about what kind of impression the big ugly cast on my broken foot is going to make... My husband insists that people won't discriminate on this basis... input?

10 Easy Ways to Be Much More Confident in Job Interviews



Recommended Answer:
First, let me say that I see the situation from both sides. I have one leg and use crutches most of the time, so I understand your dilemma. You want to practice on your crutches so they do not appear as a chore, but as if you have had them for life and they are a part of you. Don't mention your injury unless you are asked about it, and be very honest. A good interviewer will look past your injury. A lot depends on what work you are applying for. Feel free to email me if you have more questions. Sorry about your injury. Most of all good luck, let me know how you make out.

12 Job Interview Tips to Help You Ace Your Next Interview!


  • You cannot be discriminated again because of a disability or temporary disability. If I were you, I would just try to exude confidence and don't yourself act as if your injury is a hindrance. I don't know how mobile you are on your crutches, but if you make it look like you are an old pro and can get around with no problem, then it would probably not even become an issue.

    In my experience doing job interviews for potential cashiers, I have had a candidate or two with a foot injury, and I had to be careful in choosing (or not choosing) someone who would have a problem standing for a certain period of time. But if you don't have to be on your feet all day, then I don't think you should have anything to worry about. :)

  • In my opinion they should NOT discriminate against you just because you have a temporary injury.If they do thats just plain rude.Just because you have a broken foot at the moment does not mean you cannot do your job.The cast will come off,and you will be walking again,so you should be ok in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment