Thursday, October 27, 2011

Job Interview Questions: Can I take my kid to a job interview?

I have a 3 year old daughter that I would need to take with me to a job interview. I simply cant afford to pay daycare for going to job interviews and have nobody that could watch her during the day. If I get a job, then I could afford daycare and it would not be a problem. Not sure how a interviewer would react if I took her with me to meet them.

Prepare For Your Job Interview



Recommended Answer:
I know you're in a tight spot but think about it: you're hiring someone to do (whatever) and they bring their child, what would you assume about that person? Probably think "if they can't find someone to take their child for a hour interview, how are they going to find a babysitter while working here?"

I know you're saying that if you had a job you could pay for daycare, but that's like telling your boss you can't make it to the interview because you don't have a car but if they hire you could afford a car. It's a catch 22, all jobs are to some extent. Just getting a job isn't free, you have to have a way to get there, money to afford to show up for weeks until that first check arrives, proper clothing to wear, pay for a place to live while starting that job, pay for proper hygiene, etc.

Bringing your child to an interview puts you in the category of someone who doesn't have enough money to have a job.

the following is from the source link, and there's lots of other good advice on that page:

"Do not bring anyone with you, especially children. I don't know how many times I have interviewed someone that had a child with them - I even had one applicant start breast-feeding in the middle of the interview!!! I have also had applicants tell me that they were in a hurry because they left their child in the car - I refused to interview them until they found someone to watch their child. It is totally inappropriate to bring a child into a business - especially an office or manufacturing plant. Even if you are applying at a daycare facility, leave your child at home for the interview. It is equally inappropriate to have your spouse, family member or friend tag along. Even if that person works at the place that you are applying, you should go to your interview alone. The one exception to that rule - if the employer called both of you in, or if the employer is hiring for multiple positions and you are both applying. In that case, you need to make sure that the employer knows that you both have your own transportation to and from work."

Smiling Your Way to Success in a Phone Job Interview


  • depends ask them

  • Not the best idea.

  • Your application will be tossed in the trash as soon as you leave.

  • There is a dilemna , but could u possibly leave ur daughter with a close relative or friend for just an hour or so? I think that its much better to be one on one with your prospective employer, and bringing your daughter might bring on a negative connotation, despite your best interests and lack of someone to watch over her. In the last resort, you could discuss this with your interviewer, and I am not sure if they will be lenient enough to allow it. Again, they could view your daughter as an unfortunate distraction, that could make them choose someone else. Maybe your daughter could be left with the administrative assistant in a room while you are on the interview.

    Good luck, may you have a career and not just a job. Wish u the best on ur interviews, God keep u.

No comments:

Post a Comment