Friday, December 23, 2011

Job Interview Questions: I paid airfare for a job interview and SE - can I deduct on Sch C?

I paid airfare in June or July for an interview I had in July. I got the job as a SE person ( I got a 1099 misc).

Can I claim this airfare (and hotel) on by schedule c to lower my SE taxes? What records would I have to have and what extra forms other than 1040, scd SE and Sch C would I need to submit? Are credit card statements good as receipts?

Job Interview Attire - How to Choose the Right Career Clothes For Your Job Interview



Recommended Answer:
You can deduct travel expenses only if your business was already going. There has to be a "business start date." If you're just getting into the business, no.

You can deduct job search expenses on Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, subject to a reduction of 2% of your income. But that won't reduce self-employment income.

6 Tips For a Successful Medical Device Sales Job Interview


  • No, but you could see if you meet all the requirements to deduct them as a job search expense on schedule A. But you would have to itemize in order to be able to.

  • this interview was apparently to seek this employment it would not be part of your self employment(business)
    as a job search for work in your current line of would be deductible on Sch A

No comments:

Post a Comment