Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Job Interview Questions: I went for a job interview and i was wondering if this was normal?

i went for a job interview for a government department and i thought it went pretty good. they told me that id hear back from them in 2-3 weeks but i heard nothing after this time, so i rang the secretary up and asked about my progress and she said that they were still interviewing and id hear back within another 2-3 weeks but she didnt sound really certain. they called my references as soon as i came back from the interview. it doesnt sound like i got the position does it?

High Paying Job Interview Tips



Recommended Answer:
Well since it's the government, they should keep their word when saying you will probably get a response within 2-3 weeks. But since you haven't gotten a call from them even after they called your references, you most likely did not get the job. Sorry.

I realize that many people think just because it's the government, they take really long with their hiring process. That may be very well true. But in your case, they said 2-3 weeks. So that means 2-3 weeks, probably slightly longer but not too much.

I agree with Verne. Employers should stop lying when it comes to this. I think in some cases when a person who doesn't get the job calls to follow up, they feel bad so they come up with a bullcrap excuse. I think that's exactly what the secretary did to you.

Good luck with your job search.

Ace the Job Interview


  • Government jobs take a lot of time and when they do call references depending on the type of position they have to fill out specific forms and may get into more background checking. If they are still interviewing that could be because the position is still officially open. I would check again in a couple weeks but if they don't have an answer then I would start looking elsewhere too. If you can get directly to the person that interviewed you it would be to your advantage to get the information directly. I hope this helps and wish you all the best but the government does take its time. Good luck

  • During this recession, I have been through many agencies and employers regarding the hiring process after interviews, submitting references and follow up as well. However, I do agree with some of the voice's in this matter of employers getting back to you.

    It is a tough market and every employer want to be sure that they have the right person who they want to hire. Knowing how much you want that job, keep faith and still keep sending your resumes out. You never know that something else may come along the way. Never settle or keep your hope up for one company.

    Best wishes in your employment search.

  • I wish companies would just be honest with people. Last time I was searching for a job I had several different companies talk like I got the job and it was just a matter of time before I got the call to come back in but unfortunately they lie. When they say, "don't call us we'll call you" they're usually trying to get rid of you without getting rid of you. I don't know why they do this but 9 times out of 10 they're not going to call. Keep looking.

  • If they checked your references that is a good sign! Be patient hiring decisions can sometimes take a lot of time. Wait a couple of weeks and call back. There are many candidates right now so they may be looking at many to find the best match for the job.

    Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment