Sunday, December 11, 2011

Job Interview Questions: What to do at my first job interview?

Hi I'm 16 years old and I've just gotten a callback from a local supermarket wanting me to do an interview. I'm extremely excited but also very nervous as I don't know what I should wear or how I should act as I've never had a job before so any tips and advice would be much appreciated :) Thanks! Also what kind of questions wil I be asked?

Some of the Toughest Job Interview Questions and Their Model Answers



Recommended Answer:
You should dress semi-formal. As for the interview, act confident. The last the an employer wants is a shy and timid person. So just act confident and assert yourself! =) Good luck!

English for Your Job Interview - How to Succeed


  • In your case, you don't need to dress up so much. You merely need to look nice and presentable. The job you're going for is either a cashier, working behind the counter (deli, etc), or working in the stockroom. So it's not like you'll be working in an office environment. And so, the dress here would be different than if you were interviewing for a job in say a bank.

    A nice pair of jeans, khakies, skirt or dress (not too short because you're not on the prowl looking for a date!), or dress pants would be appropriate. As for footwear, a nice pair of sneaks or dress shoes would be ok.

    Avoid ripped clothing (jeans or top), things with sayings or decals on there, flashy jewlery, and tons of earrings. Remember, your goal here is to look and behave more like an adult! Something I mention in my book and have told teens like yourself at job fairs I'm participated in.

  • Hey, congrats on your first job. It can definitely be scary and overwhelming, but go in there confident and be yourself. When I got my current job now, I went out and researched any information I could find on how to prepare for an interview, since It had been a while since I had been on one, and I found this site that gives you about 10 practice questions and then it gives you the answers based on how they think it would be answered. It also gives you ways to make it your own. It helped me a lot so definitely just check it out. Good luck to you!!

  • First of all, many congratulations upon getting the interview, if your nervous then your normal.

    Dress sensibly for your interview, your parents will know, if your a young lady then maybe a trouser suit, or trousers with blouse etc, and sensible shoes not trainers. If your a young man then trousers shirt, jumper (a jacket, shirt, and a tie you might think is OTT but its not out of the question).
    Remember it's the first impression that counts (that is a visual event, before any words are spoken).

    The questions I would ask you are on the following topics (just think , what do the supermarket do and your almost there).

    Teamwork,
    Why do you think teamwork is important?
    Why do you think a team leader is vital to the success of the team?
    What would you do if you had a problem with another team member?Customer relations,
    A customer complains to you that they can not find a bag of sugar, what would you do?
    A customer complains that the queues at the check outs are massive, but two of the check outs are unmanned?

    Dress/uniform
    Do do you think being smartly dressed at work is important if so why?
    What do you think the benefits are in the staff wearing a uniform?Health and safety
    What is your understanding of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974?
    (just an outline, for example the duties and responsibilities of the employer and the employee under the Act, you can find it online type in HASAWA)

    What would you do if you saw a particular part of the shop floor was wet (something had spilled on it)?

    Some questions you may like to ask (you will be given the opportunity at the end of the interview)

    What are the working hours (does it include weekend's, bank holidays)?
    Overtime (including covering staff holiday's etc)
    Career prospects in the future?
    Your training process, and length of time?

    I hope this helps, try and practice your answers to typical questions(some above).

    When your asked a question,listen to the question, then pause, think about your answer, then give it.

    Get to the interview location early (gives you time to settle down, knowing your there).

    I wish you good fortune at your interview.

    Remember they are trying to get to know you, and one way is for you to answer their questions clearly and to the best of your ability.
    They will know your nervous, because they themselves have been interviewed in the past.

    And please don't do what I have done in the past, excuse myself at the interview to go to the loo, go before,a funny thing nerves (but totally normal).PS . Excuse me Katie I have just seen your icon thingy, and I now realise anything I have scribed concerning "young man" is totally irrelevent/stupid, see that's nerves for yer:)

No comments:

Post a Comment