Friday, December 2, 2011

Job Interview Questions: How can I answer a question about my felony conviction in a job interview?

This question always comes up - either in the interview, or on the application. Answering the question always keeps me from getting the job. But, I want to be honest so that if the company hires me, they can't fire me later by saying that I lied to them. What is the best way to answer this question without jeopardizing my chance to get the job?

10 Biggest Job Interviewing Mistakes



Recommended Answer:
If it comes up let them know your moved on something along the lines of,

"I was convicted of -xxx- , and have fulfilled my obligations to the Court/Society/etc. I know that crime is wrong, and I also know that I have to try harder, and be better than the average person. I am ready to do this."

There are employers sadly who will just who without exception won't give you the job due to the felony, that's just something you have to swallow.

Good luck on finding a Job and rejoining Society

Job Interviews Questions - To Ask Or Not to Ask


  • At the risk of sounding cliche, it's not what you say but how you say it.
    Make sure you first present your qualities. That way you'll be a good guy with a past conviction and not a bad guy with some qualities.
    Then be careful what words you use. For example, the army does this all the time in the media, replacing
    "our soldiers killing other soldiers of ours" with "friendly fire" or "strong bomb" with "daisy cutter".
    Just write the statement "I was convicted for..." and underline the problem words and see what you can replace them with.

  • Put yourself in their shoes and try to imagine, if you were them, what could be said to ease concerns. Don't ramble on, or get lost in the details. But give them a strong sense that this is in your past and you are a changed person.

    One way to avoid uncomfortable situations here is to include the information on any application. That way when you get called for an interview, you won't surprise them with the info.

    Good luck!

  • get a lawyer to seal it from the public then u wont have to say u had a felony because it wont even show on your background anymore

  • Felony convictions follow you forever. You're toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment