Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Job Interview Questions: How to handle this job interview situation?

Here is my situation. I have a job interview this Friday and I have a family reunion coming up this June for 3 weeks. In case if I get hired (i am not hired yet) will my employer accept me taking 3 weeks off for the family reunion? Should I mention it in my job interview? How should I handle this situation: take the job or not?

Know the Job Interview Answers



Recommended Answer:
Don't mention it in the interview. The time to mention it is when they make the job offer. Let them make the offer, then tell them you'll accept under the conditions that you will be able to take off 3 weeks in June for a previously scheduled trip.

Edit: Whether your 3 weeks off is for a trip to Disneyland or for a Missionary trip to Africa, that's not relevant nor is it your employer's business. Simply say "previously scheduled trip." Its nobody's business why you need 3 weeks for a family reunion.

How to Answer Job Interview Questions Correctly and Get Hired


  • If you mention the family reunion during the interview, there is a strong possibility you will not be offered the job even if you have a lot of strong points.

    If you get the job, I believe you will not be given the three weeks off. You will still be on probation. Taking leave not long after you report for work is not helpful.

    The family reunion is important. So is your job if you are selected.

    The truth is that there will still be many more family reunions in the future. But you have only a few opportunities to get a good job.

    So make a wise decision.

  • I think,if I was your prospective employer,I'd tell you to get lost.As others have have said "three weeks for a family reunion" is certainly excessive.I certainly wouldn't consider you for employment.
    Sorry but you did ask.
    Masha.

  • Don't mention it until they ask when you can start. They will probably be disappointed, but if they have already offered you a job, they're hooked. Also, they might not even mind, you never know. It's no reason to give up.

  • 3 weeks for a family reunion? really?
    why not a weekend?
    i'm sure your employer won't mind a booked holiday, but 3 weeks is a bit excessive

No comments:

Post a Comment