Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Job Interview Questions: Is this a real job interview or is it a scam?

Should I go?
I got an email from someone who just goes by Joe and they asked me to meet at some office, which today I drove by to make sure I knew how to get there and it's a house. The interview is scheduled at 3pm so it's daylight hours. I don't remember applying for this job so I asked when I replied to the email and he said that my resume was forwarded to him by a company that I did in fact apply to about a year ago. Should I go or is this a scam?

Special Job Interview Considerations



Recommended Answer:
I wouldn't go if I were you. You drove by his "office" and it was actually a house...? This sounds kind of sketchy. Maybe try getting his phone number and set up some sort of phone interview? I don't know if that would be possible or if it would be a good idea to ask about if it is indeed legit. I agree with the person who answered before I did. If you aren't even in the market for a job then I wouldn't even go. I would still be worried about some stranger having your information.

Getting Job Interview Help For Aviation Jobs


  • I would be careful. Are you actually looking for a job at this moment in time?

    If not, don't go. It may be a scam.

    If you do decide to go, get someone to sit in the car outside and watch out for you. Have an agreed time and plan as to how this person will get you out if you are not out within that time scale. He could plead some emergency or another meeting or something. If you are happy tell this friend that you will be a few minutes and will be along. That way the interviewer will know that there is someone keeping tabs on you.

  • Google the name of the company and "complaints" to see if anything comes up. Look up several pages.
    Call the better business bureau. The number will be in the telephone book, or you can find it online.I would NOT go, or at the very least have a male friend accompany you (not a female friend.)

    It seems very fishy to me!

  • Stay far away! This is a scam and you are being set up.

    There are several possibilities and here are two:
    This man has been stalking you already and wants to get you alone so you can "fall in love" with him.
    This is some sort of scam to get women alone for God Knows What.

    With the rise in human trafficking lately as well as the rise in rape, you may want to print that email off and take it to the police. Also, block this creep from your email. His next step may be stalking.

    Again: and I am putting in caps for emphasis:

    PRINT THE EMAIL AND TURN IT IN TO THE POLICE! Let them handle the creep. Who knows, you may help to snag a serial rapist.

  • I would reply to the email. Let him know that you are interested in employment. Ask him to please confirm the name of the company, his name and title and the title of the position for which you will be interviewing,

    Be very polite in case this is legitimate, but if you don't get satisfactory answers to those simple questions I would not go. I would be tempted to check out the name of the business on your state's Department of Revenue website to verify that it is indeed a licensed business. And even if everything checks out, take a big burly man to the interview with you. He can wait in the lobby or seating area but make his presence known.

    By the way, my spouse runs a business out of a residential home (no one lives there - the business is just in a home). In 16 years she has only had to hire three times (she is a great boss) but every time she does people always think it's sketchy since it's in a house.

  • Did you respond to an ad on craigslist? if so, it's most likely a scam.

    the house may be empty...maybe he doesn't really live there. i've heard of this kind of stuff where people set up interviews or act like they are going to buy/sell something on craigslist (or similar web sites) and they break into an empty house and rob/rape/harm the person.

    this is one interview i'd skip out on if i were you.

  • LISTEN to us...SCAM! Report this activity to the Police Department immediately. Even if you do not go, you may save someone else from being harmed. Or, worse. No reputable company witholds information about who they are, what the job entails, and holds interviews in a home. Unless it is a pyramid type business. I would be very very careful...

  • These days, you can't be too careful. Are you looking for a job? Even if you are, I would avoid this offer and just reply to him that you're not interested in the job offer. It definitely sounds shady. Keep searching.

  • BIG red flag, an interview at a house. Def do NOT go, not worth it. He could easily have found your info and is a liar, in any case, any interview at any house whether at night or daytime, is very suspect and potentially very dangerous.

  • Um, hun use your brain lol. This is clearly a scam. Even if it wasn't, any job offer that has you doubting it's legitimacy and asking Y!A if you should go is a red flag NOT to go.

    Be careful!

No comments:

Post a Comment